![]() |
| This is my lovely seester, Alex. She would ride my bike everywhere during her short visit from Florida. |
Today I want to talk about my expectations of living in Hawaii versus actually residing here. Films and food will have to steal the spotlight another day.
I moved here about a year ago with my boyfriend, Josh. He is a Staff Sgt. in the Air Force, and Hickam was his next permanent change of station. When we talked about moving to Hawaii together, all I could think about was sippin' on Pina Coladas as I tanned on the beach. I'm pretty sure this is an image everyone pictures when they think of Hawaii. But the truth is, there is a stark difference between visiting and actually living in Hawaii.
For one, I did not realize how expensive it would be out here. The cost of living is so high compared to what I'm used to! Establishing residency is a must, especially if you plan on getting your degree at UH. Finding a nice apartment in the city at a reasonable price is nearly impossible. When it comes to rent, you're mostly paying for the location of your place, instead of the actual residence.
![]() |
| This is my parent's house in Songtan, Korea. They're paying the same amount for rent as we do for an apartment here. |
I miss going to the beach. That's not something you would expect someone living in Hawaii to say, but it's true. My time is spent working 30 hours a week and being a full time student. I haven't gone to the beach in about five months; granted, it has been "winter time" here, but I live 10 minutes away from the beach! I've paled out so much, I can actually wear the foundation that my Korean based cosmetics company sells. And for those of you who aren't aware, Korean foundation is extremely light in color; they value pale skin as opposed to tan skin. The point is, I didn't realize how little time I would have to go to the beach, as it was something I thought I would be doing almost every weekend.
The Asian influence here is pretty awesome. I didn't expect so many different types of Asian restaurants, bars, and markets. I was so sad when I left Korea, cause I thought I would no longer be able to eat Korean food, speak the language, and see other Koreans. I was so ecstatic when I came here and realized that Asians dominate Oahu. It's like home away from home.
The weather...I know, Hawaii is supposed to be paradise. I thought I would love every second the sun was shining on my face, but I miss my seasons! I miss the fall, where leaves would trickle off trees and create piles of gold, red, and orange. I miss snowboarding, oh god, you cannot even fathom how much I miss snowboarding. Thankfully, I'll be going to Colorado during spring break, I'll get my snowboarding fix then!
| This was the the last time Josh and I went snowboarding. We stayed overnight at Yongpyong Resort, currently the biggest snowboarding and skiing resort in Korea. |
The amount of people that call the streets of Honolulu their home is extremely depressing. All the advertisements, movies, and media that promote Hawaii never show the darker side of this state. The issue of homelessness is not considered prevalent, even though there are over 4,000 people without homes on Oahu. I never expected to encounter so many underprivileged souls right in my backyard.
So far, Hawaii has been an interesting experience. It's definitely a culture shock from Korea, but I'm looking forward to the next two more years I have left here. I think what truly makes Hawaii different from all the other states isn't something tangible, like the infinite sunshine or the pristine beaches, but is something that has to be experienced for yourself. I believe the hospitality that the residents of Hawaii portray to the many strangers that visit their homeland everyday is something that distinguishes this state from the rest of world. And for that reason, I'm proud to say that I live in Hawaii.
So far, Hawaii has been an interesting experience. It's definitely a culture shock from Korea, but I'm looking forward to the next two more years I have left here. I think what truly makes Hawaii different from all the other states isn't something tangible, like the infinite sunshine or the pristine beaches, but is something that has to be experienced for yourself. I believe the hospitality that the residents of Hawaii portray to the many strangers that visit their homeland everyday is something that distinguishes this state from the rest of world. And for that reason, I'm proud to say that I live in Hawaii.


While reading your post I couldn't help but smile because I know exactly what you're talking about. Especially the beach and snowboarding. Im pale and I miss snowboarding so much sometimes it hurts. I hope you find time for the beach and enjoy your trip to Colorado (I was born there, the snowboarding is amazing)! I tell all my friends when they say they want to move here that its great to visit but they should stay where they are.
ReplyDeleteExactly! My friends always tell me how jealous they am that I'm living in "paradise" but I always tell them there's more to it than they think. It's so interesting how the pristine image of Hawaii is shattered once you live here.
DeleteWow, I enjoyed reading every sentence in this post! I have lived in Hawaii my entire life and it's so fascinating to read about how different it is here than in other places, for you, Korea. You make snowboarding sound really fun! I want to try that someday..well first I have to see snow! I've never seen or felt snow in my entire life. It's definitely a different lifestyle living here. I'm glad you're having a good experience(besides your bike)! Can't wait to read more :)
ReplyDeleteI hope you get the chance to see snow one day! The experience is unlike any other, and when you're in the middle of it all, trying to catch snowflakes with your tongue, it's an amazing feeling.
DeleteI'm sorry you had a rough week... I've been sick pretty much all week, so it wasn't a walk in the park for me either. I actually had to miss some classes because I couldn't get out of bed. I enjoyed reading about your life in Korea! I'm jealous that you get to see snow so much. I actually only experienced snow a few times when I traveled to the mainland... I loved it. Growing up in Hawaii all my life makes me kind of sick of it here.
ReplyDeleteI hope you feel better! Do you think you're ever going to depart Hawaii? I could not imagine settling down here...it's too small for me!
DeleteOh I'm sorry about your bike...
ReplyDeleteHawaii is kinda paradise, but I also miss winter to enjoy snowboarding in mountains in Japan!!!
I bet snowboarding in Japan is pretty legit! Where in Japan did you go?
Delete